Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother


I don’t remember if I ever saw my mother eat an orange
pulling apart the sweet dripping sections with her long fingers 
flicking aside the white membrane 
biting the flesh with perfect sparkling teeth

I do remember the delicate way she held a lobster roll 
between two fingers  
her back straight   
the way she dabbed at her red shaded lips
with the corner of her napkin 
 
I remember how she ate stuffed quahogs at Bobby Byrne’s   
one hand in her lap 
fork held at a precise angle  
the way she talked to the waiter  
showing her broad smile
but never with food in her mouth

and I remember how she ate oysters at Wimpy’s in Osterville    
laughing as they slid down her throat  
salty

oh she would say  
delicious  
believe me
if God eats  
He eats oysters

I don’t remember if I ever saw my mother eat an orange   
but I do remember the blue leather bar stool
where she sat in the afternoons  
and late into the evening  
at Cotuit Highground    

and I do remember exactly how much orange juice
the bartender mixed with her vodka

3 comments:

Martie Ingebretsen said...

Heart touching!

Lady Kate the Fairy Froggymother said...

Thank you Martie!

Marilyn said...

Very interesting Kate, your Mother sounds like she was very elegant. We all have strange memories from our past, they make us who we are today...love you, Marilyn C.