Wednesday, November 3, 2010

This afternoon I visited an old friend who has had several serious surgeries and is homebound. She lives alone. She spends her day in a wheelchair and depends on others to help her with her daily care and make sure she has what she needs.

We chatted for a while, remembering happier times and thinking about what her future will be like and then, I asked if there was anything I could do for her.

“Oh Kate,” she said, “the only thing I need right now is a remote control for my TV. I can’t get out of this wheelchair to change it and this lousy thing quit on me.” She handed me an old remote control. “I changed the batteries but it still doesn’t work. I recoded it and everything but it’s broken!”

“No problem,” I said. “I will be happy to get you a new one.”

She handed me a $20.00 bill and said, “There’s a Wal-Mart only at Tropicana and Fort Apache.”

Suddenly I had a problem. I don’t shop at Wal-Mart… never have and never will.

“Maybe there’s a Target or a K Mart nearby,” I said.

“Nope! Not way out here! Only Wal-Mart and besides, I can’t afford Target or K Mart.” She is not working since her surgeries and is on a tiny fixed income. I sat there for a minute, looking at her and thinking. All she has is the internet, books and a TV to keep her busy. Her days are long and boring and she doesn’t sleep well at night because of pain. Her TV keeps her company. How could I say no to her?

It was hard to walk into that store. I kept reminding myself I was not shopping at Wal-Mart for myself or spending my own money, still, it was hard.

The aisles are wide and bright, the floors shine and the displays are interesting. I have to admit I was caught up a few times by the merchandise and low prices. I kept myself focused on what I was doing. I had no idea where the remote controls were and I did not want to wander the whole store looking. It’s a BIG store. I stopped the first employee I saw. “Excuse me,” I said. “Can you tell me where the TV remote controls are?”

“Oh sure! Follow me honey!” We walked at a rapid pace to the other side of the store where she smiled and waved her arm at a large display of laundry detergent. I was confused.

“I am looking for a remote control.”

“Oh! I’m sorry! I misunderstood you. I don’t know where they are.”

I walked away. I could not figure out what part of “remote control” sounded like detergent but then I am not familiar with all the detergents on the market. I use only one; Seventh Generation and it doesn’t sound at all like remote control.

Several aisles over I found a young man who looked like he was familiar with remote controls. “Can you tell me where to find a remote control for a TV?”

“That way, “he said, jerking his head to the left. He started to walk away!

“Which way?”

“That way!” Again with the head.

“How many aisles over?”

He shrugged his shoulders. “A few.” This time he did walk away.

Oh my gosh! Surely I had made a mistake and he was not an employee. I watched as another customer approached him and asked a question. He jerked his head at her too.

I wandered away and by chance I saw remote controls hanging on a wall. I picked the one I wanted and started to leave. A young man in a blue shirt asked, “Are you finding everything all right?”

WHAT? Am I finding everything all right?

“Actually I would like to find a manager!”

“I’m a manager. What can I help you with?”

“I just had an encounter with an employee who could not be bothered with helping me but jerked his head and walked away.”

“Where is he ma’am?”

“He walked away.”

“Can you tell me what he looks like?”

I could and I did.

“Oh yes,” he said. “I know who you mean. I am sorry he wasn’t helpful. I will speak to him.”

“Thank you. This is my first time to shop Wal-Mart and I have not been impressed.”

“I’m sorry ma’am. We hope you will come back again.”

I waited on a long line to pay for the remote control and when I reached the check out woman I did not know exactly where to put it so I handed it to her.

“Put it down there,” she snapped. Ouch! I paid for it and left. On my way to the car I realized millions of people have similar shopping experiences daily. I also realized the “manager” was not going to speak to the young man at all. I was just another Wal-Mart customer and no one cared if I came back or not.

Still, I count myself lucky. I have finally had a “Wal-Mart experience” and I was able to help my friend. I hope her remote control is working tonight.

No comments: