Monday, October 20, 2008

dude...

Yesterday morning I had occasion to drive my 13 year old granddaughter Jordan aka JoJo to school.

First, we picked up her best friends, India and Jared. In my car I had two long legged girls in black shirts that read "My Chemical Romance" one shorter boy in a black shirt with a skull, 1 huge black backpack, two black "messenger bags" that read "My Chemical Romance" my purse, two violins, one viola and a whole lot of young energy, none of it mine. Still young ones are a joy to be with and I was enjoying myself.

"Dude," Jared addressed me from the back seat, "how you doing?"

"Uhhh... just fine dude. How 'bout you?"

"Ah, you know."

The girls fell into giggle heaps which is not all that easy with a violin case on your lap.

"Listen India" I said, "I need you to do me a favor."

"Sure dude."

(You are addressed as "dude" regardless of your gender, dude. Got it?)

"I want JoJo to go to LVA ( Las Vegas Academy of Performing Arts, one of the best high schools in the country) and she says she doesn't want to go unless you go too. So tell me you are going to audition!"

"Dude I don't know! I think we're moving to Colorado!"

"WHAT?" JoJo and I asked together.

"Or Puerto Rico or the Bronx," Jared said.

"WHAT?" By now JoJo was bent over her violin case moaning "Issues, I'm having issues…"

"Don't worry JoJo," India said, "Our parents haven't decided anything yet. I don't think it will be for another year and we can so totally visit each other after we move."

"Oh issues…" JoJo moaned.

"Dude," I said, "why are you moving?"

"There's just nothing for kids to do in this town…" said Jared. "It's not like it was 'back in the day' you know. Now it's all about who you date and what drugs you take and we aren't real happy with that, you know?"

Suddenly, several things were going on with me at once. I was feeling sad for JoJo who might be losing her two best friends, sad for India and Jared who didn't particularly like living here, very pleased with what Jared had said about "dating and drugs" but real confused about what an 11 year old boy considered "back in the day." But, the adolescent is a skittish critter and must be approached gently. If he thinks you are laughing at him he either clams up or delivers swift and nasty retribution.

"So Jared, I think I missed the meaning of 'back in the day,'" I said carefully, willing to withdraw my statement if need be.

"You know, 2006, 2007. Things were like totally different then."

"Yeah I know," I said, smoothly. "So I am sure things will work out best for all of us."

"Yeah, we probably won't move for a year or so. India and JoJo can go to LVA together for about a year if they get past the audition."

"Get past the audition?" JoJo yelled.
"You so totally wish you were as smart as we are!" Issues seemed to be over for the moment.

"Dude, you doubt we can get into LVA?" India squealed.

"I don't doubt it," I said as they piled out of the car with violins, violas, back pack and messenger bags that read "My Chemical Romance" and joined 1500 other young people wearing black shirts, carrying instruments and back packs. "I don't doubt it at all."

I waited till I was well around the corner to laugh.

No comments: